Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him

We have the technology. We can make him better than he was before. Better, faster, stronger...

Any other fans of the 6 Million Dollar Man out there? I know I'm not the only one.

Anyway, I finished up my one word script today. Can't believe how quickly I got it done. I'll probably take a look at it once or twice before posting it on Friday, and that might give me a chance to polish it up a bit, which is something I haven't had a chance to do with my other entries thus far. The whole idea of the one word project I'm doing is primarily to write. I'm not usually worried about editing these things before I post them or anything like that. That's not to say that I don't read over them after they've been posted to figure out where I went wrong, and when I post them up on Digital Webbing, Penciljack and places like that I try to respond and learn from the criticism I receive. So it is a learning process, and the ultimate goal is to take all the valuable information I'm getting from these and apply that info to the next script in line.

One thing I will say about this script before Friday arrives is that I actually did a written layout of the panels before I moved into the scripting phase of it. What I mean is that I wrote down brief descriptions of panels that I'd like to see one after the other, and then I took those sparse panel descriptions and decided where the page break would be. It's something that I've done occasionally before, but I'd probably say that the majority of my writing (especially in regards to this project) is done without much planning ahead.

Is that one of the reasons I can't write on as consistent a basis as I'd like? I suppose it's a strong possibility. So what I've decided to do is try and layout my future one word scripts in the same manner as this one to see if it eases the process for me. It's a little more work, yeah, but if it reduces the difficulty I have during the scripting process it's definitely worth it, and it might be something I can apply to the larger projects I'm working on. One of the whole ideas behind this is to improve my productivity and effectiveness as a writer, so let's hope I'm on the right track. It's either that or become a cyborg like my boy Steve Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment